I'm counting down my top 10 Desert Island Shoes. Not shoes I'd wear on a desert island, although some would do in a pinch, but rather the shoes I'd keep if forced to own only 10 pairs of shoes (disgusting!):
1. Black Chuck Taylors - Chucks are my first choice because I believe they are what really sparked my love of the classic shoe. Unlike most cool kids, I didn't own a pair until my Freshman year of college when my roommate Alex said I had to have them if I wanted to hang out with her. My first pair were red. I've never owned the hightops as I'm too lazy for so many laces.
2. Rainbow Sandals - an Orange County classic for sure. Simple and indestructible. I owned my first pair at 13 and have had at least one pair in regular rotation since. I went down to the factory today to buy my first pair of double layers cause my feet are gettin' old.
After you wear the brown ones for awhile, the soles of your feet turn orange.Sizing Tip: Rainbows come in Small, Medium, Large, XL etc. Buy a size smaller than your shoe size falls into. I'm a size 8, so while I technically fall into the Large range, I always get Medium. You don't want to look like you're skiing on these things.
3. Toms - Wear them without socks or with tights - they're like closed toe Rainbow Sandals. I currently wear these more than any other item in my closet (clothes and shoes alike). I bought my first pair when I lived in San Francisco, where a sandal is not always a good choice due to chilly weather and/or sidewalk bio hazards.
I call them my Ninja Shoes.
Sizing Tip: I find that Toms are true to size. The first pair I got were not, so when I went to buy the second pair and didn't bother trying them on prior to purchase, I was shocked to find the soles were totally smaller than the initial pair. Apparently the Tom's people worked out the sizing kinks. Anyway, they might feel tight at first, but they will stretch and mold to your foot.
4. Cross Trainers - A necessary evil. Everyone needs a decent pair of sneakers. I hear Clint Eastwood is a big fan.
I have these. I will only wear them rolled down like this if Greg is really pissing me off.
6. Wellies - the only type of shoe on this list that I don't own yet. GASP. I want a pair of Hunters, aka the original Welly, but having survived 4 years in SF without any kind of rubber rain boot, It's probably best that I don't spend $120 on a pair of shoes now that I'll probably only wear them twice a year. Tear. Someday, lil' guys.
Oh Aubergine / Eggplant / PURPLE Hunters. You will be mine.
7. Knee High Leather Boots - Classic and versatile, as long as you don't buy into silly trends like open toed lace-ups. I have two pairs (black flat buttery soft Campers and black heeled Charles Davids), but what I really covet is a pair of Cognac colored Frye Boots. The brand has been around since the Civil War. How cool is that.
These are part of the Frye "Carson" series. The toe is described as almond shaped. Love.
8. Black Flats - EVERY Girl should own a pair of super comfortable black dress flats. I have had many pairs over the years, but I have yet to find my holy grail that will result in me buying 10 pairs so I have a backup when they wear out. I dream of these things.
Not Jeffrey Campbell's, but darn cute though, eh?
10. Black Stiletto Pump - My final choice is my relenting that as a woman, I have to wear heels from time to time. That said, I own more heels then any other type of shoe. They're all in immaculate condition.
All the better to jab you in the eye with, my dear.